With all the wonderful natural facial serums on the market today, it can be a little overwhelming choosing the correct formula with safe, non-toxic ingredients, all at a reasonable price. The good news is that it’s easy and fun to make a quality product on your own using the miracle of nature – essential oils.
I started working with skincare formulas in 2003, one of the first products I
was excited about making was an essential oil-based facial serum. My skin needs
were changing, and a moisturizing oil made perfect sense for dry, maturing
decided to work with four wonderful healthy aging essential oils I had
discovered: Lavender, Frankincense, Rose Geranium, and Carrot Seed.
natural and highly effective nature of essential oils makes them perfect for
skincare. When blended for their various properties and used with a carrier oil
that matches your skin type, you can create a serum tailor-made for your skin.
What Are Essential Oils?
oils are the essence of plants. Hidden away in many parts of the plant, like
the flowers, seeds, and roots, they are very potent chemical compounds. They
can give the plant its scent, protect it from harsh conditions, and help with
benefits of essential oils on humans are diverse and amazing. Lavender
flower oil, for example, contains compounds that help soothe skin irritation
and redness, while the scent reduces feelings of anxiety and stress.
beautiful Rose essential oil is hydrating to the skin and sometimes used to
treat scarring, while the scent is known to help lift depression.
are many essential oils to choose from for specific skincare needs. I have used
a myriad of different combinations but keep coming back to the tried and true
blend from my very first serum.
four essential oils used are the workhorses of skincare for mature skin, as
well as being wonderfully uplifting for mind, body, and spirit.
The Base Oil Blend Formula
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 oz. amber dropper bottle. You can find those in pharmacies or online.
Base (Carrier) Oil
As a base, you can use one of
the oils below or a combination of several that meet your skin’s needs:
- Jojoba oil is my base oil of choice. It’s incredible for most skin types: it’s extremely gentle and non-irritating for sensitive skin, moisturizing for dry skin, balancing for oily skin, ideal for combination skin, and offers a barrier of protection from environmental stressors. It also helps skin glow as it delivers deep hydration.
- Rosehip oil smooths the skin’s texture and calms redness and irritation.
- Argan oil contains high levels of vitamin E and absorbs thoroughly into the skin leaving little oily residue.
- Avocado oil is effective at treating age spots and sun damage, as well as helping to soothe inflammatory conditions such as blemishes and eczema.
- Olive oil is a heavier oil and the perfect choice if your skin needs a mega-dose of hydration. Just be aware that olive oil takes longer to absorb and leaves the skin with an oily feeling. This may be desirable for extremely dry, red, itchy skin.
- Lavender essential oil is very versatile and healing. It helps reduce inflammation, kill bacteria, and clear pores. Its scent is also calming and soothing.
- Frankincense essential oil helps to tone and strengthen mature skin in addition to fighting bacteria and balancing oil production.
- Rose Geranium essential oil helps tighten the skin by reducing the appearance of fine lines, helps reduce inflammation and fight redness, and offers anti-bacterial benefits to help fight the occasional breakout. The scent is also known to be soothing and balancing.
- Carrot seed oil is a fantastic essential oil for combination skin. It helps even the skin tone while reducing inflammation and increasing water retention.
Let’s start with a simple
- 1 oz. Jojoba oil (or carrier oil of your choice)
- 10 drops Lavender
- 10 drops Frankincense
- 10 drops Rose Geranium
- 10 drops Carrot seed oil
the essential oil drops in the amber dropper bottle then fill with
Jojoba/carrier oil. It’s that simple!
Applying Your Homemade Serum
this serum morning and evening as part of your regular skincare routine. Serums
work best when applied after cleansing your face. You can cleanse with Coconut Oil or a mixture of oils for enhanced hydration (we
will cover this in the next article) or use your regular facial cleanser.
oils will not interfere in any way with your normal skincare products.
in mind that the serum is concentrated. Use only a pea-sized amount, work it into
your fingertips, and apply evenly over the face without tugging or pulling.
your skin feels tacky, reduce the amount on the next application. Your skin should
feel soft, not oily. Follow with your regular moisturizer if you like.
your own facial serum is fun and rewarding! I look forward to hearing your
thoughts and ideas on essential oils and making personalized serums and
facial serum do you use? Have you made one yourself? What is your favorite
essential oil for skin care? Please share your thoughts with our community!