There are many new and old/revisited diets in today’s landscape featuring a variety of different foods. Many of them are aimed at losing weight and improving your health.
The vegan and vegetarian diets have enjoyed a surge in popularity over the past decade, but do we all know what they are?
A vegan diet is one excluding all animal protein and animal products, such as eggs, butter and all dairy products. A vegan diet is basically a very strict vegetarian diet.
You will find many new vegan products available on the market such as vegan flour, milk and other substitutes to make this diet seem more mainstream.
Vegetarians allow themselves more freedom in their food choices compared to vegans. Many vegetarians add eggs, dairy, fish and even chicken to their diets while eliminating red meat and pork.
I am neither vegan or vegetarian but believe in eating a healthy diet from real food that has not been processed. Adding extra servings of produce to your daily meals alone will create a healthy diet.
I personally like to eat what I want, without restrictions. I do make a few vegetarian meals throughout the week which amp up servings of fruit and veggies.
Eating portions of fresh fruit and vegetables for meals and for snacking creates a healthy eating pattern even if you still enjoy a good steak or hamburger once in a while.
I am going to share two breakfast recipes. One recipe will be strictly vegan and the second, a vegetarian dish.
Curried Tofu Scramble
1 block of firm tofu
1/2 cup of chopped green onion
1/2 cup of chopped sweet red pepper
2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon each of curry powder, garlic powder, oregano
3 tablespoons of avocado oil
salt and pepper to taste
- Break up the block tofu and mash it thoroughly.
- Heat the oil in a medium size frying pan.
- Sauté the veggies and spices in the pan for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tofu and blend it with the veggies, then cook until fully heated.
- Serve the tofu scramble with fresh fruit or vegan bread.
My Favorite Vegetarian Egg Scramble
2 tablespoons of water
3 tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup of chopped onions
1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese (optional)
1 teaspoon each of basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste
- Beat the eggs with the water until the mixture is very smooth.
- Sauté the onions, mushrooms and spices in the butter for about 5 minutes.
- Add the egg mixture to the pan and stir the mixture until the eggs are cooked completely.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the eggs before serving.
Do you have a favorite vegan/vegetarian dish? Do you follow any diets? Please join the conversation below and share your favorite meatless recipe.