Sounds impossible, right?! Wrong! It’s very possible. Let me explain …
As we grow older and our body takes on different forms and dimensions (we become shape shifters), we may continue to dress as we always have, not realising it just doesn’t work anymore.
The day you look in the mirror and actually see your reflection, in all its mid-life-plus glory, is the day you possibly start to rethink your image. Or you may not. There are plenty of women happy to dress as they did 20 years ago.
But when you see yourself, really see yourself, for the first time, you realise you need to step in and take control.
Let’s start with a few questions …
- Do you believe we should dress age appropriately?
- Do you believe in that careful balance between fashion and style?
- Do you follow fashion?
- Do you worry what other people think about the way you dress?
Obviously, you cannot lose 10 pounds in 10 minutes, but you can dress to make yourself look as though you’re 10 pounds lighter!
When you’re trying to look smaller, the trick is to create a long vertical line. There are some specific things you can do to achieve a leaner, longer look.
So where should you begin?
Get Some Support
You really can take off years and pounds by investing in a really good, well-fitted bra. Find yourself somewhere you’re comfortable and get your bras fitted by a corsetiere. Good foundation garments are an investment.
While you’re being fitted for a bra, why not get some new shapewear… it can do wonders for your silhouette.
Stand Up Straight!
Did you know you can lose pounds by practicing good deportment? It’s the truth. And don’t scuff your feet!
Long chains or necklaces, long thin scarves, bangles to hide your non-waist. Use brooches for accents and to bring the eye away from your changed shape. Wear chain belts at an angle.
- Long tunic tops, long sweaters, and long jackets.
- Leave jackets open to create a longer look.
- V-necks – the proper style. If you’ve got it, flaunt it!
- Monochromatic colours, matching top and bottom or single-colour.
- Suits, skirt and pants, all create a vertical, slim look.
- Slim trousers or jeans. Try and avoid low-rise or mid-rise, they will make you look shorter.
- Straight skirts that stop mid-knee or just below the knee.
- Flesh-coloured stockings to accentuate and lengthen the legs.
Wear cross-body bags; they will make you look leaner. If you can, and you’re going somewhere important, wear heels (I know; it can be very painful). Even a small heel will make a difference.
All of these little tricks will have the desired effect and will visually slim you down. 10 pounds? Yes. It’s all about the subtle art of camouflage.
What is your own personal style? Are you ready to create one? Do you believe there are some things we really should not wear over 60? How do you feel about what’s available in stores or online? Please share your thought and experience with our community!